
It's been just about a month since Cadbury's last check-up with the vet, and the infection is still here and if anything, it's worse. I just called and made the next check-up with the vet and renewed the prescription. The lump under her ear is bigger and harder, and even Jason could feel it.
This just really sucks. I really wish I had enrolled them in some pet insurance like I meant to ever since we first got Bunny, but I never did. Part forgetfulness, part one more bill. But I think this is a good kick in the head to get Cadbury and Snoopy enrolled soon, because with age comes more problems, and they're only about 3 years old.
We're also going to go back to giving her the meds directly instead of injecting it, because we're afraid that maybe she wasn't getting the whole dose. The enjoyment of jam only lasted about three days, and then we had to start finding other things that she'd enjoy and found prunes. Cadbury absolutely loves prunes. But they didn't quite hold the medication well, as it would run down the sides, or come out the pit hole in the bottom.
So, fun for all of us, starting last night we went back to syringing it straight into her mouth. *sigh* We're also going camping tomorrow for the weekend, so the rabbits will be boarded with the Best Little Rabbit Rodent Ferret House, where we adopted Snoopy, and they'll apply the meds. They'll probably do a better job than we do.
Poor Caddy.
Also, I wonder if this is what she has.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Man this stinks. I feel your pain. Benny has the same floppy ear predilection to ear infections. We had been told to pluck the ear hair to keep a clean ear canal to fight this but it turned out that all that raw opened skin was a magnet for infection. It was counter productive. So now we try to keep the ear canal hair short by clipping it, which is so much fun to do. I have to straddle the dog's head holding his nose to the floor with my knee, hold the ear taught and then quickly cut hair inside his hear. Needless to say, he hates it. But if we can keep this up, we don’t have to have him on meds and we won’t need to resort to surgery where they cut a flap of skin out of his ear canal so that the ear can air dry. Imagine how noisy the world would be for him with out that protection.
That surgery procedure is the same that the vet possibly would like to have done to Cadbury. I think we'll find out tonight at the vet what will happen. Most likely x-rays will be taken, although I don't know if they'll do that tonight or if we're going to have to schedule another appointment, and then the x-rays will determine the surgery. :(
I never thought about how her hearing might change, but maybe it won't be bad. We have a direct flow of audio into our ears, but then again, our hearing is not as acute as theirs.
Post a Comment