
Jason came home last Thursday after shopping for hay to find that Bunny had passed away. She was lying on her side in a flop (a comfortable bunny position) as though she was sleeping, but her eyes were open.
I rushed home and we took Bunny and Cadbury to the emergency vet on Lake City Way, a few blocks from home. We had Cadbury examined, and she was/is perfectly healthy. Because we had no idea what happened with Bunny, and worried that it was something that might affect Cadbury, we had them perform a necropsy on her (like an autopsy). Then we went home and cried and slept the afternoon away, until they called back with the necropsy results.
Apparently Bunny was fine, except that she had a lot of fluid around her lungs and heart, leading the examing vet to believe that she had a cardiac disease. The fluid would have made breathing difficult, and we believe that her heart and lungs just shut down. The examing vet said that she even had a little hay in her mouth. So we believe that she had flopped down for a nap, and was munching on some hay when breathing became too dificult, and she went to sleep and didn't wake up.
This appeared to be an acute problem because we never noticed any breathing problems, or other health problems, and she had been acting normally.

Life is moving on without her, as life does, and it's getting easier. It's still hard to believe that we won't be laughing at her running down the hall to scratch at our bedroom door anymore, or the way she would squish her face against the bars of her cage to entice you to let her out.
The memories are endless and I could go on forever, so I won't. Cadbury seems to be okay, but she isn't eating as much and seems a little lost. This would be attributed to that facts that along with losing her friend, she was also moved out of her home into another cage so that we can clean the area where both girls were. I hope to get this done tonight.
My mom asked me if I would get another one, and I said no. Right now I think we just need to give Cadbury the attention she deserves, since we doted most of it on Bunny. Maybe in the future, we would like to adopt a boy bunny for Cadbury. There's a gorgeous one at our House Rabbit adoption center that we frequent and support, but first we need to pull ourselves back together and take the time to enjoy what we have before adding to it.
2 comments:
Well, I am sorry to hear about the loss of Bunny. I know how much you loved her.
You know what happens when you put boy bunnies with girl bunnies. Is Cadbury spayed?
Thank you.
Both Bunny and Caddy were spayed once they were old enough. It prevents cancer and other stuff. So we wouldn't have to worry there, but any boy bunnies we adopt would be neutered anyway.
Post a Comment