While that might mean that some family will be having Roast Beef for dinner, it means that my baby bunny is going to be going to the vet to have a portion of her ear removed.
Yeah.
I spoke with my vet and asked about different options, like another antibiotic or bicillin (to read about affects of bicillin on rabbits, go here. it was a really interesting read. if you're into that sort of thing. :) ) but she feels that the best thing to do right now would be to just get this ear trouble gone. What she has is a middle ear infection (otitis media) with an abcess. The abcess is really, I think, what is keeping the medication from reaching the infection, because it's so swollen. Also, I don't think that antibiotic is doing anything anymore. The problem with trying another antibiotic is that we have the problem of not knowing what, or if, it will work. And the longer this infection lasts, the higher the possibility that this will turn into an inner ear infection (otitis interna). That can lead to lots of other problems that can be detrimental to her health. So the vet wants to do the surgery so that we can just get this problem solved, and save her, Cadbury's, head.
I don't remember what she said about the bicillin, but it was also not a route she wanted to go, which is too bad because it seemed like the miracle drug. Although, it would mean needing to give her an injection (actual injection, like with a needle) of the bicillin every other day for 2-3 months, followed by an injection once a week for another 2 months. I'm not sure Cadbury or I would have been real up to that, but I know that she's definitely not going to be up for the post-surgery ear flushing that we'll have to do every day to clean her ear, and apply the antibiotics. I know there will be ear drops, I don't know if there will also be oral meds.
::sigh::
She has to be dropped off between 8 and 8:30 tomorrow morning, and may or may not be ready to be picked up tomorrow evening. The vet may want to keep her overnight.
How exactly does that work? Doesn't everyone go home for the night? Who will watch her? Or is the vet going to spend the night at the clinic to keep an eye on her? Sandi, our rabbit lady, spent the night on the floor next to Cadbury and Snoopy when she was bonding the two of them, just to make sure they were okay. :) She's a nice lady.
And I'm rambling, but I'm worried about my bunny. Snoopy will be staying with her, again, but that's something else I'm worried about. How will we keep her and him from messing with her ear? Cleaning her ear seems to be one of his favorite things to do. Are we going to have to put a little cone around her neck? I can barely imagine a rabbit with a cone. Poor thing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Aw....poor Cadbury---poor bunny. She will feel better though when it is all over and you will be glad you did it.
Keep me posted
It's true. :) I'm just looking forward to the end of the healing process.
Post a Comment