One down, one to go?

It's been almost three weeks since Cadbury's ear surgery and she continues to recover well. She doesn't really like the ear flushing, and neither do we, but it's getting easier on all three of us.


From left to right, these are the medications she's on.
Baytril Suspension (oral antibiotics), .5 ml once daily; Ear flush liquid that I can't remember the name of, 2/3 of syringe twice daily; Metacam (oral pain meds), 1.5 ml once daily until finished (finished about 4 days in); Baytril Otic (antibiotic ear drops), 5 drops in the syringe twice daily.

The ear flush and ear drops each have to happen twice daily, but we have to wait about 45 minutes to an hour between the flush and ear drops so that the inside of her ear can dry out some. This means getting up too early so that we can get it done before I leave for work, and then again in the evening. We wrap her up in a towel to keep her from moving around and give her a treat to keep her occupied, and then we stick the syringe in her ear to flush out the gunk. As you can imagine, having a bunch of liquid suddenly being squirted in her ear isn't the most comfortable thing, so before we start she kind of braces herself for it, holding the treat in her mouth, and then starts chewing wildly while we're flushing, stopping every few seconds to shake her head. This generally ends up spraying me in the face because I get too close to her head. The ear drops are easier. We still wrap her in a towel because if we don't she starts moving around table trying to keep away, but the insertion of this little snub nosed syringe is much easier, and quicker. Then she gets another treat and gets to run around the room shaking her head wildly.

I took this picture last night. She was feeling very grumpy about the whole thing and wouldn't even take her treat. As you can see, the hair on her ear is growing back and she doesn't look nearly as silly.


We had our one week check-up on the 10th and the vet said that every thing looked great and as it should. We have our "second week" check-up tomorrow. It should have been last week but there weren't any openings that worked for everyone. And while we're there, we're going to have to have her take a look at Snoopy. Shortly after the last check-up, like the day or two after, Snoopy started sneezing a lot and he has runny nose. Unfortunately this probably means that he has a bacterial infection. Maybe Pasteurella? Searching for causes of rabbit "sniffles" is kind of like using WebMD. You could say that your toe hurts and you've either got an ingrown toenail or diabetes.


So, I guess we'll find out tomorrow. *sigh* I really don't look forward to having to give Snoopy oral antibiotics. I was afraid to just clip his toenails because I didn't know how he'd react.

Hopefully it's something simple with an easy fix.

0 comments: