Pi(e) Day!


Tomorrow is 3.14! Pi(e) Day! But, since it's a Saturday, and, as I wrote in an email to my office, most of us wouldn't be here tomorrow, I called for the troops to bring in and enjoy pie today.

"You know what this Saturday is? It’s 3.14! That’s Pi(e) Day! Unfortunately for us, most of us don’t come in on Saturdays, so I invite you all to participate in Pie Day this Friday, the 13th!

Bring a pie, any pie! Be it berry pie, cream pie, or chicken pot pie, you know we’ll eat it! However, don’t feel obligated to bring a pie, but do come enjoy them!"



My coworker made Key Lime and Key Lemon pies, and my other coworker brought in a Strawberry-Rhubarb pie. Another coworker brought in a frozen Trader Joe's Shepard's Pie that he stuck in the microwave. :)


I made this awesome Ginger Honey Apple pie that had honey drizzled over the top of the crust. Ooh, it was really good. Really gingery. The base of it is Granny Smith apples with a couple Cameos, a Pink Lady, and a Golden Delicious. All of the apples were coated with a flour mixture that had ground ginger, crystalized ginger, nutmeg and cayenne pepper in it, and then were tossed with Key Lemon juice and zest. Once they were tossed, they were coated with a cup of local PNW clover honey that had been infused with 2 Tbsps of freshly grated ginger.


As you can tell, it had quite the ginger flavor. It was really good!

I had also wanted to bring in a Rhubarb Custard pie, but I was trying out a new pastry recipe that I've never used before and following new tips, plus I'm a really slow baker, so this pie wasn't out of the oven until Midnight. (We also didn't get started until about 8:30PM) :P No time for Rhubarb Custard. But I've got all the ingrediants and 3 pounds of rhubarb, so I may make it for myself.

Jason wants a Key Lime pie for tomorrow, and I'll probably make a Raspberry Rhubarb pie for Jason's mom. I also want to drop a pie off for my friends Kevin and Angelica tomorrow, because they're the ones that gave me this awesome new pie book for Christmas. However, when we sent them texts asking what they're favorite kind of fruit is, Kevin answered Oranges and Angelica answered Pineapples. :P

Maybe we'll make them an Orange and Pineapple Meringue pie. Jason found recipes for them online.

2 comments:

Dear Baby said...

No half measures for my sister! What a pie! I wish I had been able to taste it.

Anonymous said...

No, pie are round, cornbread are square!