Rabbit Report

So I realize that I've been lax in keeping up with my Cadbury updates, which I'm regretting because it's actually been a great med log, looking back on it. Cadbury is currently at the vet undergoing sedation and x-rays. Jason dropped them both off this morning (Snoopy is there to help keep Cadbury company, and ease the stress on both of them) at about 8:10 and I'll be picking them up on my way home from work.

On August 26th we took Caddy back in for another check-up, to reaffirm that the infection was still there, and I requested that we try the ear drops again because maybe that's what did it in the beginning. We upped the dose of the Baytril suspension from 0.5 ml to 0.6 ml once a day, and six drops of the Baytril ear drops twice a day. She loved us. :)


Three weeks later on September 16th, we went back in to do a brief check-up ("yep, it's still there.") and schedule the x-ray exam. And that's where we are today. The medications were finished while we were on vacation in Vegas and the rabbits were being boarded at Rabbit Meadows. When I pick them up this afternoon, we'll probably schedule another meeting (check-up) to go over the x-rays and discuss the possible surgery to remove about an inch from the base of her ear to get directly at the infection. The x-rays are to determine how large and deep the infection is, and whether it's in the middle or inner ear. If it's in the middle ear and requires surgery, our vet will be able to perform it. But if it's in the inner ear, she said she's never done that surgery before and would have to refer us.

I hope she's okay, poor thing. And Snoopy, too, for having to be manhandled this morning (he hates being picked up. Cadbury doesn't like it, but she deals.) and then stuck in some cage with barking dogs near by, and his honey away somewhere. But I thought, and didn't convince Jason but he agreed to call and ask, that the rabbits would be happier together. This way Snoopy won't be alone all day wondering where Cadbury is, and Cadbury will feel much better recovering from the sedation with Snoopy by her side, giving his kisses to her ears and eyes, like he is wont to do.

UPDATE: Well, Jason called to say that the vet called and Cadbury is all done and just recovering from the sedation, so she'll be ready to pick up in about an hour. Good news, doubled, is that the infection is only in the middle ear, so it's a surgery that she would be able to handle. Second good news is that she's confused why the estimate for the sedation, x-rays, and exam was so high. So, instead of $254.something, it's only going to be $105. Which is nice.

And if we choose to do the surgery, it will be about $500. Right now I'm trying to research middle ear infections in rabbits, and treatments, which I should have done a long time ago. I just really don't want to do this surgery. And I can't even imagine trying to take care of her the next to weeks by flushing out her ear canal and applying ear drops.

ack.

UPDATE UPDATE: Oh man! I think this is the surgery that would need to be performed!

0 comments: